Subject: Re: True Facts on LW Upgrades
From: "J. David Johnson" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 06:40:05 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 21 Feb 1995 [email-masked] wrote:

> 
> >My original question, and I think it still stands, is do I have to get 
> >(1) a standalone upgrade ($149) and (2) a seperate LW 4.0 NT version 
> >($1000 ?) if I wanted an NT renderer? If I do, no problem or complaints - 
> On the bright side:
> You'll probably not end up paying $1000 for LW on WinNT.  Last I saw, one 
> company was advertising it for $600- not as cheep as the 3.5 Amiga version, 
> but certainly reasonable when you look at what you're getting compared to 
> what you could be paying (3D Studio, Topas, etc.)
> 

As your message reads, you have the Toaster based Lightwave 3.1.  When 
you buy the 3.5 Upgrade, you are NOT getting standalone upgrade!  
Basically they are the same, but Toaster version doesn't have a dongle.
And also comes with no manual, just update pages.
So what this means is that NO you cannot upgrade to the NT version at any 
price.  You must buy it outright... ($600 sure seems low, I expected at 
least $750... perhaps they are basing their pricing on 3.5 price...)

At any rate if you were to buy the StandAlone 3.5 Lightwave it would cost 
you approximately $500 (street price) not the $150 (Toaster Upgrade) you 
are refering to.   Then for $150, you can upgrade the Standalone to any 
platform of your choice...  A total of $650.

If you can get 4.0 for NT at $600 please let me know where!!!  ;)
J. David - Video GT